JOIN NOW

Log in

FR competition 2017 logoCompetition 2017:
En Pointe ~ Symington Pattern #2360

Comment like mad to tell all these amazing makers how great their work is. They showed a lot of courage to submit their work for your judging, and they deserve tons of praise and encouragement!

Voting has now closed. Winners and Runners Up are visible from the links below! Congratulations to you all, and thank you everyone for entering, commenting, sharing and voting!

Winners  ~  Runners-Up  ~ Beginner  ~  Improver  ~  Experienced  ~  All Entries

Save

Save

Save

Save

Il Muto Ballet Costume

Ilmuto1Ilmuto2Ilmuto3Ilmuto4Ilmuto5

 

When I saw that one of this year's competition themes was “ballet,” I got so excited, because I had two doll-sized ballet costumes on my to-do list. This project was conceived in 2011, when I decided to make doll-scale reproductions of every main costume from Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Phantom of the Opera.

This ballet costume is worn during the performance of the mock-opera “Il Muto.” As such, it's supposed to be a Victorian interpretation of a Rococo ballet costume. It's done in the Romantic style, with a long, full, layered skirt and a corset-like bodice, in mint green and pink, plus an olive green sash and shoulder drape. I drafted my own patterns.

It took a long time for all the elements of this costume to come together, and I hit several snags along the way. One challenge was fabric. A few years ago, I found the perfect pink-green iridescent satin, which I bought and put aside. I acquired a pale pink satin for the lining, light green tulle for the supporting underskirt, and an olive silk chiffon for the accent pieces. I thought I had a coordinating sage green satin for the skirt and bodice, but it was from my late-grandmother's stash and had been folded in a cupboard for so long, the creases had become permanent. I couldn't find any other fabric in the right shade of green, but after much despair, I realized I could use the wrong side of the iridescent satin, which was spring green with a pink shimmer.

Another issue I faced was how to hem the skirt layers. I'd drafted them as gathered circle skirts which attach to a yoke, so the bottom edges were quite rounded—impossible to hem in the traditional way. My usual hemming techniques wouldn't work because of the scale, but eventually it occurred to me that I could line the skirts with illusion. This provided a finished hem, without adding stiffness or bulk.

For the bodice, I drafted princess seams. To give the illusion of a stomacher, I used an impossibly tiny pink cord to make crisscross lacing, and then added a narrow picot trim for the outer edges.

I used miniature paper roses for the floral accents on the bodice and sash. After I'd attached them to the silk chiffon, I realized they were too big for the scale of the doll. Not by much, but enough that they looked out of place. So, I carefully removed them and pulled off the outer petals, making the flowers smaller, then put them back on the costume. I used the same mini roses to make the headpiece and floral wreath.

Dress Diary: Part I and Part II

 

Save

Gravatar
redthreaded  
  Fascinating to read about the particular challenges of making something in miniature. This is so cute!  
 
Hide comment form

1000 Characters left


FacebookTwitterGoogle Bookmarks Pin It

Save

Save

Go to top