Darina Kirillova, Russia
IG: Avis Atelier
My sewing demons know how to make me suffer. :)
As a reference, I chose the mysterious and magical architecture of India, the interior of Mysore Castle. Its variety of shape and decoration is so luxurious and wonderful, it perfectly reflects my love for "over the top" style. Besides, this is a great challenge to integrate structural lines of the vaults of Mysore, its wonderful colors and decor layering in the cut of the corset.
The decor! Lots of beautiful, complex, spectacular, eye catching decor! I love when there are many details, so you can take your time and enjoy the object.
What did I choose as a challenge for myself?
I'm a bit afraid of overbust corsets, particulary of struggling with a bust shape. That meant I need to work more with the bust this time! I also don't like too much handsewing, so this is the way most of the details must be put together! Also this is the first time I played with patterns in the corset and I'm extremely happy with the result.
I usually don't specialize in corsets, I think my skill level is not enough, so participation in this competition is a great chance for me to raise my level and declare myself to the world. :)
Some fun facts about Mysore Corset:
- All the fashion fabrics are window curtains. Even the lace was trimmed from a beautiful curtain. :)
- I chose very carefully the perfect interlayer cotton, so that when I found it, there was the last meter of this fabric which was lost in stock! but we did find it, and I was very happy I haven't got to start the search again
- Picking the right color for fashion fabrics was so hard that I bought six different turquoise fabrics and nine gold ones!
- My six year old daughter helped me with the embroidery. My little growing corsetmaker. :)
- I don't have tailor's hams, so I had to iron the whole corset on my sewing mannequin, tightly pulled balls of fabrics and pillows. But it worked out!
- At some point, the corset began to make itself! Forms, lines and materials began to dictate the different design so that I had to change the plan, but the result was even better.
- The first booking for shooting happened before I even cut patterns out. And the very next day I finished, it had two photoshoots in a row! Maybe it's time for a costume rental service...
In the end, I want to add something very important. I couldn't make this corset without tips from FR mentors. Even though I have a professional sewing education, many tricks have become a real revelation for me! Thank you Cathy, Luca, Barbara and Lowana! I sincerely hope to one day thank you personally. :)
What was it like to compete this year? What would you say to someone who is on the fence about entering next year?
Get ready! Together we will now find out the secret of the perfect creative work!
Each time you start something that will be a reflection of your abilities, ask yourself two main questions: "What do I love most?" and "What am I most afraid of?"
The answers to these two questions will greatly help you navigate the sea of ideas, because you can work on the most difficult and important tasks, but with joy! :) (yeah, it really helps)