Among the funny quirks that my earthly vehicle was gifted with is the close-to-inability to see with my right eye. This is normally not an issue, except when the other eye decided it needed replacement parts! For several weeks, bandages and other fun things reduced my eyesight to a dark and blurry mess. Not a good thing for precision sewing, or any sewing at all!
Thankfully, I had my final mock-up from last year’s entry sitting around. The fit was good – actually better than the final one where I made a cutting mistake. I didn’t want to see this hard work and perfect coutil go to waste, so I tried some embellishment techniques.
I had a few scraps from the stretch velvet I used for my entry outfit from 2018, and bought a bunch of guipure collars to cut up. Finding the right shade of blue to go with the dark gold and not clash with each other was surprisingly difficult, so some lace pieces never got used but have been carefully stashed until the right project comes along.
I cut up the flowers, leaves and twirls and overlapped them as if they originally belonged together. I included some organza flowers and a fluttery butterfly for some 3D texture – something I want to work on more in future projects.
I have to thank Peau d’Âme Corsets for the idea and advice on seamlessly covering a corset in stretch velvet – although mine has seams, as none of my scraps were very big. The velvet was carefully stretched over the curves and tacked with tiny hand stitches to the corset and to the previous piece of velvet.
Thankfully, the body of the corset was already constructed and the velvet in place when I blindly picked this up again. Most of the lace was also applied prior to my eye surgery; what was left I could handle by getting everything really close to my face and sewing by touch. But inserting the busk and center back bones--that was an adventure! I am proud to say I only had to redo the busk seams once, and didn’t break any needles doing so!
The busk is a little hard to maneuver due to the thickness of the velvet. I minimized the bulk inside the corset by finishing the velvet edges with bias tape instead of turning them under; I left it unlined as this started out as a mock-up and went on as a study piece.
I enjoyed giving remnants from previous challenges a new life – upcycling a mock-up and scraps that would otherwise have been discarded.
Dot coutil, synthetic whalebone, stretch velvet, blue guipure collars, taffeta ribbon, satin ribbon