I created this bodice for a Beauty Fairy ballet variation to "renew" a used tutu for a dancer who had grown taller over the past year. Not only does this give new life to a tutu skirt, I was able to complete the project using 100% materials from my stash. I pieced together trim from two old projects, blue faux silk I had used on two other projects and other things I had laying about. Tutu skirts use a huge amount of materials, so being able to use one over several years of a dancer's growth reduces a great amount of waste.
This project was long distance, so that was my most difficult challenge. We did FaceTime measuring and I relied on drafting techniques to flat pattern the bodice. I used a scrunching technique to get a smooth finish on the bodice. It has seven bones and a layer of coutil. The edges and seams are finished with piping. Lace was sewn over the top and crystals applied at the end.
Coutil, blue faux silk, lace, spiral steel boning, damask silk, crystals, cording, hooks and bars.
What was it like to compete this year? What would you say to someone who is on the fence about entering next year?
I feel very accomplished for actually submitting something. It wasn't at all what I planned, but at least I did it!
Gorgeous color and perfect fit. She is ready for her solo!
Oh wow, this is gorgeously made. I love the colours and details and she looks positively beaming <3
This is the costume that everyone in the dance company wishes they could wear onstage. It is a beautiful reuse of a pancake tutu, and the embroidery is beautiful. This costume will be in her collection forever.
This looks like a ballerina's dream come true. So beautifully put together Renee.
A most worthy story of renewal indeed! This is such a lovely new/old outfit—so much gorgeous detail!
Wow, you'd never know that this was anything but a 100% original custom costume! You've done a great job of integrating the existing tutu with the new bodice.