Part-Time Proofreading/Content VA (Virtual Position, UK based)
Are you passionate about learning and sharing your expertise with other people?
Do you love diving into a subject and figuring out the best way not just to do it, but to teach it?
Do you have a favourite red pen? Have your “eagle eyes” never met a typo they can’t catch?
If this sounds like you, we might be a great fit for each other!
We are Harman Hay Publications Ltd, a virtual company founded by Cathy Hay.
Our flagship membership program, Foundations Revealed (FR) is widely considered the gold standard for how to improve your historical sewing and costuming skills. Our “Stitchlings” not only find the answers to their sewing questions with us, but form a community so loyal that we have an average retention rate of 94% from month to month. As an entirely online community and educational resource, our community has trebled during 2020, and we are still growing our team.
We’re looking for an awesome Part-Time Proofreading/Content VA to join us on a part-time basis.
This person will support the Editor and Copy Editor/Formatter to proof read articles prior to publication on the Foundations Revealed website, including the creation of learning assets to support our library and events (including but not limited to transcripts, video replays and articles).
- Proofreading articles before publication (checking all spelling, grammar, links, images, captions, settings, &c), usually around 1 article per week, circa 3000 words per article.
- Proofreading competition entries before publication, typically 35-50 entries per year (February).
- Editing any video content accompanying the articles
- Hosting and recording our monthly live workshops in Zoom.
- Saving those recording files to upload to Dropbox and Vimeo, and submitting them for captioning
- Proofreading the caption files, especially for sewing terms that the captioning service may miss
- Transcript cleaning and preparation
- Editing workshop videos
- Handling other assignments as needed
Skills You'll Have:
- Experience in proofreading, captioning and video editing
- Excellent knowledge of English grammar and UK spelling
- Researching to solve spelling and grammatical problems
- Meticulous attention to detail and accuracy.
- Upholding established protocols and style guidelines
- Striving to meet or exceed daily work expectations
- Prioritizing duties in order to meet deadlines promptly
- Interest in historical clothing or costuming, including knowledge of terms pertaining to historic clothing, textiles and dressmaking.
- Experience with Zoom, WordPress, and Adobe Premiere Pro or Elements
- Continual attention to detail in proofing materials, establishing priorities, and meeting deadlines. Must be able to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands.
- The bandwidth to work on multiple projects at a time to hard deadlines.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Our mission at Harman Hay is to help creative misfits find and express their identity through inspiration, community, and sewing. We provide a safe and inclusive environment in which our Stitchlings can master their skills and get results every time, whilst building the confidence to live the life of their dreams. We are a small team who are willing to jump in and wear different hats when needed to meet our goals and achieve BIG things. Every person who joins Harman Hay Publications Ltd has a significant impact on what we become. If you make it through our rigorous selection process, you’ll find yourself part of an amazing team that’s all about creating magic and having fun while we do it.
How to Apply:
Please submit your CV with a covering letter telling us why you would be ideal for this role to firstname.lastname@example.org, together with details of expected pay rates. (Please note that AGENCIES WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS ROLE.)
Bonus points if you include a link to a short video telling us a little bit more about you! Don't be afraid to be yourself - we want to get a sense of who you are, what’s important to you, and whether we’d be a good match.
We will be accepting resumes and applications for the position until October 30th, 2020. Thanks in advance for applying!
At Harman Hay Publications Ltd, we have a strong commitment to Diversity, Equality, and Inclusion. We aim to attract qualified candidates who hold these same values and help us to further recognize and celebrate the diversity among us. We are an equal opportunity employer. We respect and seek to empower each individual and support the diverse cultures, perspectives, skills, and experiences within our teams. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, or discharge will be based on qualifications, merit, competence, performance, and business needs.